Following the steps below will help you look at this Deangle mask from the Dan culture.
Step One: Look
- Describe the Deangle mask to another student. What is special about the mask's expression?
Step Two: Analyze
- What color is this mask?
- What is it made of?
- Find etched lines. What do they look like?
- What shapes do you notice on the mask?
- This face is considered beautiful by the Dan culture. What features on this face do you think are considered important in their culture?
- Where do you see light hitting this mask?
- Where do you see shadows? What does this tell you?
- Imagine wearing this mask. What would it be like to look through those eyes?
- The surface of the mask shows the skills of the carver. Is the surface rough or smooth? Is it dull or shiny?
Step Three: Compare
To begin comparing this mask with the other images, please launch the slideshow found in the right sidebar.
Download relevant worksheet here.
- What is the same between these two images? What is different?
Step Four: Explore
On the map below, locate where the Dan mask came from. Research it.
Download relevant worksheets here and here.