Following the steps below will help you look at this painting, Redheaded Girl in Evening Dress by Amedeo Modigliani.
Step One: Look
- What is happening in this painting?
- What is the mood of this painting?
- Share your ideas with another student. Do you agree?
Step Two: Analyze
- What colors do you see in this painting?
- Which colors are light? Which colors are dark?
- Where are the light and dark colors located?
- What shapes do you see in the painting? Where?
- Do you see lines? How do the lines distort the face?
- Where do you see the artist's brushstrokes?
- Do you see shadows? Where are they?
- Describe where this woman is. How do you know?
- Would the painting change if she were outside? How?
Step Three: Compare
To begin comparing this painting with others, please launch the slideshow found in the right sidebar.
Download relevant worksheet here.
- What is the same between these two paintings? What is different?
Step Four: Explore
On the map below, locate where the artist Amedeo Modigliani came from. Research it.
Download relevant worksheets here and here.