Following the steps below will help you look at this painting, Giving Thanks by Horace Pippin.
Step One: Look
- What is happening in this painting?
- What is the mood of this painting?
- Share your ideas with another student. Do you agree?
Step Two: Analyze
- What colors do you see in this painting?
- What colors are repeated?
- How do colors move your eye to look at different parts of the painting?
- How would the painting change if Pippin had used dull colors instead of bright ones?
- Where do you see lines in the painting? Are they curvy or straight, neat or jagged?
- How do the lines create a mood for this painting?
- What would the light in this room be like without the door?
- What would the room be like with a window?
- Describe the space within this painting. Is it open or crowded?
- Does the family seem close to you, or far away?
- What shapes do you see? Are any repeated?
- How does Pippin arrange the figures in this painting to create a sense of family?
Step Three: Compare
To begin comparing this painting with others, please launch the slideshow found in the right sidebar.
Download relevant worksheet here.
- What is the same between these two paintings? What is different?
Step Four: Explore
On the map below, locate where the artist Horace Pippin came from. Research it.
Download relevant worksheets here and here.