Following the steps below will help you look at this painting, Woman in White in the Exotic Forest by Henri Rousseau.
Step One: Look
- What is happening in this painting?
- What is the mood of this painting?
- Share your ideas with another student. Do you agree?
Step Two: Analyze
- What colors do you see in this painting? Where are they?
- How do the colors make the scene seem like a dream?
- Rousseau uses strong lines to outline shapes in the painting. What kinds of shapes do you see? Where?
- Where do you see light in this painting?
- Does the light tell you what time of day it is in the painting?
- Where does this painting take place? Is this a place you have seen before, or is it from the artist's imagination? How do you know?
Step Three: Compare
To begin comparing this painting with others, please launch the slideshow found in the right sidebar.
Download the relevant worksheet here.
- What is the same between these two paintings? What is different?
Step Four: Explore
On the map below, locate where the artist Henri Rousseau came from. Research it.
Download the relevant worksheets here and here.