Following the steps below will help you look at this painting, The Card Players by Paul Cézanne.
Step One: Look
- What is happening in this artwork?
- What is the mood of this painting?
- Share your ideas with another student. Do you agree?
Step Two: Analyze
- What colors do you see in this painting?
- How do colors move your eye to look at different parts of the painting?
- Do you see a color that is repeated in different places in the painting?
- Where do you see lines in the painting? Are they curvy or straight, neat or jagged?
- What parts of the painting are brightest? What parts are darkest?
- What kind of room are the people in? How can you tell?
- What shapes do you see in the painting? Are they repeated in other parts of the painting?
Step Three: Compare
To begin comparing this painting with others, please launch the slideshow found in the right sidebar.
Download relevant worksheet here.
- What is the same between these two paintings? What is different?
Step Four: Explore
On the map below, locate where the artist Paul Cézanne came from. Research it.
Download relevant worksheets here and here.