Project Manager, Collections & Exhibitions
Posted on 11/21/2018
Description: The Barnes Foundation is seeking a Project Manager, Collections & Exhibitions to serve in a project management/registrar role for the collections and exhibitions at the Barnes. This position reports directly to the Deputy Director for Collections and Exhibitions & Gund Family Chief Curator.
We’re committed to diversity and equal opportunity in our recruitment and hiring. Highly qualified candidates of all backgrounds are welcome and encouraged to apply for this position.
Established in 1922 as an educational institution, the Barnes Foundation carries out its mission by promoting appreciation of the arts and horticultural science, through the preservation, presentation, and interpretation of the collections of Albert C. and Laura L. Barnes.
Celebrated for its exceptional breadth, depth, and quality, the Barnes Foundation’s art collection includes works by some of the greatest European and American masters of impressionist, post-impressionist, and early modernist art, as well as African sculpture, Pennsylvania German decorative arts, Native American textiles, metalwork, and more.
The Barnes Foundation engages diverse audiences through its exceptional collections and high-quality programs that reflect a broad range of periods and cultures and build on the founders’ innovative educational vision of transforming lives through the arts and horticulture.
- Review exhibition contracts and loan agreements; liaise with all stakeholders.
- Maintain institution-wide calendar of exhibitions and other art projects in gallery spaces.
- Review federal indemnity, exhibition insurance, and immunity from seizure applications.
- Coordinate exhibition logistics including shipping, receiving, installation and courier arrangements, in collaboration with a fellow Registrar.
- Work closely with the collections team, facilities, design, outside contractors, security, conservators, preparators, and curators to ensure safe and timely delivery of exhibitions.
- Work with the Exhibitions Coordinator to manage and meet exhibitions budgets.
- Keep clear and detailed exhibition records for the archive.
Skills and Knowledge:
- Bachelor’s Degree in a related discipline
- A career history in an institution that hosts international touring exhibitions
- At least three years of experience in the role of exhibition registrar or other related background
- Exceptional attention to detail
- Confidence and responsiveness when dealing with inter-institutional negotiations
- Excellent communication skills that demonstrate clarity and sensitivity
- A respectful and collaborative approach to teamwork
Competitive Benefits Include: Group health, dental, and vision insurance; flexible spending accounts; short and long term disability and group life insurance; 403(b) with matching contributions; Employee Assistance Program; voluntary benefits; as well as paid vacation, personal time, sick time and holidays.
Please include a cover letter and an updated resume with your application.
The Barnes Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer and we’re committed to diversity and equal opportunity in our recruitment and hiring. Qualified candidates of all backgrounds are welcome and encouraged to apply for this position. Employees have rights under other laws including, but not limited to, the Family and Medical Leave Act and the Employee Polygraph Protection Act. We participate in E-Verify.