Our Core Values
A Learning Culture: we sustain a spirit of adventure by investing in and rewarding curiosity, creativity, and innovation.
- We offer venues for information sharing, analysis, education, and training that foster professional and institutional growth.
- We develop individual, departmental, and institutional goals that strive toward excellence and that are coordinated, reassessed regularly, and rewarded when achieved.
- Enthusiasm and experimentation are honored, respected, and encourage; we learn from our successes as well as our failures.
Respect: we demonstrate esteem for our community, collections, and culture as a whole.
- We ensure the safety of our collection, living and non-living alike.
- We acknowledge the contributions of our entire community including all employees, volunteers, visitors, researchers, donors, and partners, at all points of contact.
- We honor our founders’ rich legacy in shaping our programs and practices.
Integrity: we fulfill the promise of our mission through behavior that reflects honesty, responsibility, and fairness.
- We clearly state our intentions and act accordingly, both personally and institutionally.
- We are forthright and truthful in our interactions with others.
- The organization supports professional courage by creating an environment and establishing policies such that individuals feel safe to speak up when witness to wrongdoings or when identifying a need for development.
Transparency: we conduct ourselves with openness and candor in all aspects of our work.
- We seek feedback from all directions to achieve open communication and foster collaboration.
- We offer constructive feedback to others that is timely, specific, and descriptive.
- We are proactive in communicating outcomes up, down, and across the entire organization.