The health and safety of our community is our top priority.
After temporarily closing on November 20, 2020, in accordance with restrictions announced by Philadelphia city government to limit the spread of COVID-19, the Barnes Foundation reopened to the public on Friday, January 8, 2021.
In preparing to welcome visitors back, we reimagined every aspect of our operations to prioritize and protect your health and well-being, and that of our staff. Our goal is to provide an experience that is both safe and inspiring, offering the space for meaningful and enriching encounters with art.
To ensure the highest level of safety and enjoyment for all, we have introduced new protocols and changes to on-site operations, detailed below. Any updates to our health and safety protocols will be posted here.
We encourage visitors to review the CDC’s guidelines regarding who may be at higher risk for serious illness from COVID-19 to help determine whether they feel comfortable visiting a public place at this time.
We also ask everyone to assess their own health before visiting the Barnes. Anyone who feels unwell or exhibits any COVID-19 symptoms should stay home, seek medical attention if needed, and plan a visit once it is safe to do so.
Thank you for helping to ensure the health and safety of our visitors and staff.
Health and Safety
- Staff and visitors are required to wear masks/face coverings that fit over the nose and mouth.
- Staff and visitors will pass through a safety checkpoint, including a temperature check, upon entering the building; masks will be checked and bags inspected.
- Staff and visitors will be expected to practice social distancing.
- Rigorous cleaning protocols have been implemented, with all public spaces and surfaces cleaned and disinfected throughout the day.
- Hand-sanitizing stations have been installed throughout the building.
- Signage is posted throughout the building to remind all to maintain a safe distance from others, use hygienic practices when coughing or sneezing, and regularly wash hands and use hand sanitizer.
- Plexiglass partitions have been installed throughout the building.
Ticketing and Transactions
- Reservations are encouraged to facilitate contactless ticketing and payment. Buy tickets online or by phone at 215.278.7200.
- The number of visitors in the building will be limited, with timed ticketing to help facilitate social distancing.
- Payment using credit or debit cards is preferred for any on-site purchases to facilitate contactless transactions.
Wayfinding and Gallery Experience
- Visitor capacity is limited within the building and galleries to facilitate social distancing and allow visitors the opportunity to cultivate deeper connections with the art.
- A one-way flow through the Barnes collection, Roberts Gallery, and other areas will ensure calm and crowd-free pathways.
- Signs are posted in the galleries and other public spaces to promote social distancing.
- Guided tours will be limited, but visitors are encouraged to enjoy the Art Team’s pop-up talks about the collection and Barnes history and use Barnes Focus—our free mobile guide to the galleries—during their visit on their personal phones.