About the Event
Join AIGA Philadelphia, the oldest local chapter of the American Institute of Graphic Arts, at the Barnes for an exclusive preview of Alexey Brodovitch: Astonish Me during First Friday. Astonish Me celebrates the career and influence of Brodovitch, a trailblazing art director, graphic designer, photographer, and instructor. Student admission is $5 with code AIGASTUDENT.
- See Alexey Brodovitch: Astonish Me before the public opening.
- Take in the soulful sounds of jazz vocalist Denise King.
- Enjoy a cash bar in the AIGA Lounge.
- Mix and mingle with fellow design professionals.
- See work from local design students.
- Pick up a limited-edition screen-printed poster.
- Get after-hours access to the Barnes collection.
Alexey Brodovitch and the Philadelphia Design Community
Brodovitch moved to Philadelphia from Paris in 1930 to teach advertising design at the Pennsylvania Museum and School of Industrial Art (now the University of the Arts). Soon after, he established his innovative Design Laboratory, an advanced workshop for students and professionals interested in careers as stylists and art directors. Several of his students in Philadelphia and New York became celebrated documentary and fashion photographers, including Irving Penn, Richard Avedon, Eve Arnold, and Lillian Bassman.